- 30th Sep. 2016:
Conference proceedings “Teaching Physics Innovatively”
In August 2015, at Eötvös University (ELTE) in Budapest, the “Teaching Physics Innovatively” Conference (TPI-15) featured plenary presentations, paper sessions and a panel discussion about recent challenges in physics education. The event was attended by more than 100 participants from 18 countries, and dedicated to the encounter of teachers and scientists, mediators and promoters of Physics, who may jointly build bridges between researcher and society. In cooperation with the European project Promoting Attainment of Responsible Research and Innovation in Science Education (PARRISE), with project webpage http://www.parrise.eu/, special emphasis was placed on the pedagogical interpretation of socially relevant issues in physics education.
We are happy to announce that the proceedings of this conference (publisher: Graduate School for Physics, ELTE University, Budapest, editors: A. Király and T. Tél) is available now as an e-book, and can be downloaded from the website http://parrise.elte.hu/tpi-15
From the content:
Science centres and other informal learning opportunites,
Our cosmic environment,
Socially sensitive issues,
Multimedia and ICT,
Physics experiments and methodological innovations,
Roundtable discussion about socially sensitive issues in physics education.
- Inquiry Based Science Education,
On the webpage http://parrise.elte.hu/tpi-15/slides.php the separate papers are also accessible with their conference abstracts and presentation slides, and a "forum" is associated to each paper. Comments are welcome until 1 November 2016, afterwards the final version of the Proceedings will be generated and printed, subsequently, as a book.
- 19th Aug. 2016: GIREP GENERAL ASSEMBLY 2016
We would like to announce that the GIREP 2016 Assembly will be held at the venue of GIREP Seminar 2016, Lojasiewicza Street 11, Krakow,room A-1-06, on Saturday, September 3, 2016 at time 08:30 first convocation and at time 9:00 in second convocation with the following Agenda:
- Report on the activities a. Girep committee meetings, initiatives and activities promoted, editorial work
- Balance (Leos Dvorak)
- Election of the new GIREP Committee
- GIREP-ICPE Conference 2017, GIREP-MPTL Conference 2018
- 3rd WCPE 2020 proposal
- GIREP Proceedings: quality standards and criteria
- Activities proposals by GIREP members
- Proposals by organization with agreements for cooperation with GIREP
- Varia The GIREP President
b. Country contact members
c. Agreements with other organizations
d. Report by GTG responsibles
e. Report on 2nd WCPE
f. Report on GIREP Seminar
Prof. Marisa Michelini
- 17th Jun. 2016: Registration of GIREP organization, Elections in 2016 and Membership. Dear GIREP Members and Friends, We would like to announce that GIREP has been successfully registered as an international non-profit organization GIREP vzw in Belgium on the 2nd of January 2016, so in its 50th anniversary year we celebrate a kind of rebirth of GIREP. One of the changes we want to promote just from the beginning is a new procedure of election. GIREP Committee announces that elections to GIREP Committee and GIREP auditor will take place during summer 2016, and for the first time they will be held online. One of the advantages of establishing a legal organisation is a possibility to open a bank account of the organisation itself. So starting this year you may pay your GIREP membership in two easy ways: by bank transfer or PayPal account. Please, notice that only current GIREP members will be able to vote and to be voted for GIREP Committee and GIREP auditor. We would also like to remind you that there are two GIREP scientific meetings organized this year: the 2nd WCPE in Sao Paolo, Brasil and the GIREP Seminar in Krakow, Poland. Details about the above-mentioned information are available in a letter. We wish you fruitful conferences and lovely summer holidays. GIREP Committee Marisa Michelini, the President Dagmara Sokolowska, the Secretary
- 16th Dec. 2015: Visit GIREP Seminar 2016 website - it is already open!
- 30th Jun. 2015:
Note: This letter of GIREP president is also available as a pdf file
As GIREP-EPEC Conference in Wroclaw is quickly approaching, we would like to express our hope that it will be a great opportunity to share the research work, experience and needs in physics teaching and physics education research. We are happy to acknowledge that fruitful cooperation between GIREP and its friendly organizations is growing and some of the representatives of these communities will be present at GIREP-EPEC conference.
We would like to invite you to the GIREP General Assembly meeting which this year will take place during GIREP-EPEC 2015 conference in Wroclaw on the 8th of July, starting at 4:45 p.m. in room Chrysler AB. The agenda of the GA is the following:
Agenda of General Assembly
- Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of the minutes of the previous GA meeting in 2014
- Report by President and General Secretary on GIREP activities
- Financial report by Treasurer
- Discussion on GIREP activities and policy
- Voting on approval of the GIREP Committee reports
- GIREP Statute
- Discussion and voting on GIREP Statute
- Future activities: GIREP seminar in Krakow (2016), GIREP conference in Dublin (2017), agreement between GIREP and the Association of Students
As announced in previous communications, the GIREP Committee has put together a Statute for GIREP as a legal organisation. The final version, after consulting you all, is available now at http://girep.org/media/GIREP_Statutes.pdf . During the General Assembly we will ask GIREP members for the approval of the document. (Update information: The final approved version of GIREP Statute is presented now at the link above.)
GIREP Conference in Wroclaw – special events announcement
GIREP Pre-conference for teachers
All registered participants are entitled to participate for free in the pre-conference for teachers on Sunday afternoon the 5th and Monday morning the 6th of July. You can find all information on http://girep2015.ifd.uni.wroc.pl/teachers/ . For practical reasons registration is needed by writing an e-mail to Dobromila Szczepaniak (email@example.com) with the subject “"GIREP teachers pre-conference”. Please do this at the latest on July 1st.
GIREP National Representatives Meeting
The meeting with GIREP representatives will be organized by GIREP Vice-President Wim Peeters on Monday, the 6th of July from 4:45 p.m. in room Chrysler AB.
Kick-off meeting: Interest group “Instructional practices in teaching physics at the University Level”
In many countries we struggle with a low number of students enrolling and graduating from physics or related subjects, drop-out rates are high. One success factor among many others in higher education is the quality of instruction. GIREP regards the issue of instructional practices as highly important and wants to launch an initiative that stimulates exchange, research and co-operations among university teachers, physics education researchers and universities with the aim to improve the quality of teaching physics in all contexts at the university level. As a starting point, we would like to invite you to a first kick-off meeting which takes place at the GIREP-EPEC 2015 Conference in Wroclaw, in room Jaguar A on Wednesday, 8th of July, between 3:15 p.m. and 4:15 p.m., and is organized by GIREP Vice-President Claudia Haagen-Schuetzenhoefer . Everybody who is interested in this topic is welcome. Please join us!
GIREP Thematic Groups
GIREP Thematic Groups (GTGs) have been established in order to involve members in discussions and work on particular problems and issues in physics education, also between GIREP conferences. So far six GTGs have been initiated (http://girep.org/thematic-groups/) and GIREP members are welcome to join one of them or to propose a new one according to their specific interest. We invite you all to GTGs Symposia (Maths GTG and Problem Solving GTG) on Wednesday, the 8th of July.
During entire GIREP-EPEC conference the participants will have an opportunity to buy GIREP previous publications. Please, ask for the one you are interested in, already at the reception during registration.
GIREP membership & fee
GIREP Treasurer would like to inform you that there will be a possibility to pay your GIREP membership fee in cash at the GIREP-EPEC 2015 conference. It is a bit cheaper in comparison with payment via bank transfer (just 30€ per year) so do not miss the opportunity! Colleagues who are not yet GIREP members and would like to be, please, do not hesitate and register at the GIREP webpage (https://girep.org/register.html ). The easiest way to pay your membership fee is also in cash at the conference.
GIREP President, Marisa Michelini for GIREP Committee
- 1st Jun. 2015: A letter of GIREP president to GIREP members and friends (dated May 31st, 2015) is available here. Also, new GIREP Newsletter (No.56, May 2015) is published in the Newsletter section.
- 1st Jul. 2014: The conference proceedings for 201, 2011 and 2012 are now in the members section of this website. That's Reims, Jyvaskyla, and Istanbul. Happy reading.
- 6th Mar. 2014: Don't forget to register for GIREP 2014 in sunny Palermo: The conference website is here Looks like a good list of invited speakers.
- 6th Mar. 2014: There's a conference that may be of interest: 2d International Congress of Science Education Conference site It's in August in Foz do Iguaçu (Brazil), another interesting place...
- 6th Mar. 2014: The proceedings of WCPE2012 are out, and in due course will appear in the member's area on this website, where we're working to collect the proceedings of all GIREP-organised conferences. Conference site We're already nearly half way to the next WCPE...
- 4th Jun. 2013: The Call for papers for MPTL International conference can be found at our website.
- 14th Mar. 2012: The final date for submission of Abstracts for the WCPE is very close (http://www.wcpe2012.org/) - one week to go. Choose to submit now to avoid disappointment later. There are several possibilities: - posters - oral sessions - symposia - workshops Detailed criteria for reviewing your abstract are on the WCPE site, and will help you in deciding what to offer and how to explain your offering to the review committee.
- 28th Nov. 2011: All GIREP members who have paid their fees in Jyvaskylla and have not registered at this website are advised to do so. Without online registration a member cannot receive newsletters and also the paid fee cannot be registered to his name.
- 26th Nov. 2011: In Flanders, Belgium, the small organisation PONTOn vzw organises a PONTOn-challenge for physics teachers. After sending in a lesson of two or more hours, a jury decides which of participants wins the contest and gets a complete participation, as a teacher, to WCPE2012 in Istanbul. Look at http://pontonvzw.eu.
- 26th Nov. 2011: During WCPE2012 TEACHERS will be able to follow only a special 2-day program: group building, exchange of teaching materials, interaction with relevant research and contacts with local colleagues are the main aims of this program. People interested will need to indicate this during (reduced) registration. It is of course possible to combine this with the rest of the conference. For more information: please contact Wim Peeters (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 7th Oct. 2010: The “minutes” from GIREP assembly meeting 2010 (Reims) can be found at our website
- 24th May. 2010: All GIREP members are invited to the Stimulating Physics Network National CPD conference, 17 - 19 June.
- 26th Jul. 2009: Member registration started
- 6th Feb. 2009: Major upgrade of server software has been perfomed.
- 1st Nov. 2008: New GIREP website started. Please inform the webmaster about any bugs you might encounter.