GTG on Evaluation of Learning and Instruction (ELI)(GENARO ZAVALA, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Mexico)
The Evaluation of Learning and Instruction (ELI) is a thematic group within GIREP, formed by physics education researchers and teachers who are working on methods and techniques to evaluate students’ understanding and the process of instruction. The main goal of ELI is to collaborate with and disseminate research methods for evaluation among the members of GIREP.
- To encourage the implementation of educational cycles to improve learning by the use of innovative educational materials, instructional design and evaluation
- To disseminate methods and techniques for evaluation of learning and instruction
- To enhance the status of evaluation of learning and instruction within the physics community
The objectives of ELI will be accomplished by the following actions:
- Research on students’ understanding by using innovative methods and techniques. The methods and techniques could be those that are developed within the physics education research community or those imported from other education research communities.
- Research on innovative educational methods for instruction. Instruction can be improved by implementing educational methods which have been developed by research.
- Research on methods for evaluation of learning and instruction. Any improvement in learning can be measured by methods explicitly developed for that purpose. Since the instructor is a fundamental part of education, research on the evaluation of instruction is vital.
- Dissemination of evaluation methods by GIREP workshops. ELI organizes workshops during the GIREP conferences and in-between conferences to train teachers and physics education researchers on methods and techniques to evaluate learning and instruction.
- Dissemination of research results of evaluation techniques based on research by publications and presentations in GIREP meetings. ELI encourages GIREP members to publish research results on recognized journals. In addition, ELI organizes sessions in GIREP conferences to present those research results.
- Foster collaboration in ELI among GIREP members by virtual / face to face meetings. Collaboration is an in-herent activity for the organization. ELI organizes seminars and meetings to encourage that collaboration.
For further information, please email to: genaro.zavala[at]itesm.mx.